Information We Collect
Information Collected from Registered Users
We collect information when you donate, contact us, or subscribe to our newsletter as described below.
When you make an online donation on epicislands.org, we collect personal data such as your name, billing address, and email address. We collect information about your donation, such as a specific project it is funding and the amount of your donation. We also collect (but do not retain) credit card numbers which are processed by a third-party payment vendor subject to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards. If you use PayPal, Apple Pay, or a similar service, their use of your information is based on their terms of service and policies, not ours, so we encourage you to review those policies carefully.
When you make a donation in honor or memory of a loved one, we collect payment and contact information about you, as well as the name, email address, and mailing address of the recipient. You may create a personal message to the recipient, which is stored on our servers. Except in the limited circumstances described below, we do not read or use your personal messages.
Periodically, EPIC may invite you to participate in contests, take advantage of special promotions, and complete online surveys. Unless you provide your contact information, these will be anonymous.
Use of Information
- Process your donations, contact you regarding any questions related to your donation, mail receipts related to your donation (if applicable). Use of this data is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us in connection with your donation. If you do not provide the necessary data to us or our payment service provider, we will not be able to process your donation.
- Comply with our legal obligations such as court orders.
- Send you updates on how your donation has been used, project appeals, newsletters, events, matching opportunities, information about EPIC, and projects we think we think will be of interest to you. We will only send you this information by email if you consent to us doing so at the time you provide us with your personal data. You may opt-out of receiving such emails by following the instructions contained in each email we send you. You can also unsubscribe from EPIC communications by using the Contact Us page of epicislands.org.
- As necessary for certain legitimate interests, which include the following:
- Notify your friends and family about your donation in their honor if you ask us to;
- Using the technical information logged by our servers when you visit our Website (described above) to improve your experience on our Website and prevent fraudulent activity;
- If you ask us to delete your data or to be removed from our marketing lists and we are required to fulfill your request, we will keep basic data to identify you and prevent further unwanted processing;
- We may anonymize the information that we collect and use such anonymized data for EPIC’s in-house statistical and market research purposes;
- Operate the Website and our business; and
- Compile aggregate statistics that allow us to understand how visitors or registered users use our Website, and to make improvements in design and content to better serve you.
Disclosure of Personal Data
Unless you ask us not to, we share your personal data under the following circumstances:
- When you donate to a mini-campaign fundraiser, we share your name and the date and amount of your donation with the person who created the fundraiser.
- When you make a donation that is part of a campaign sponsored by your employer, and/or when your employer is being asked to match your donation, we will share your name, email address and the amount of your donation with your employer.
- Each time you make a donation, however, we will give you the opportunity to tell us not to share your personal data in the ways described above (except in the case of employer-matched donations) by selecting to be “anonymous” during the checkout process.
Information about Children
- If we are processing your personal data for direct marketing.
Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your personal data you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time, but this will not affect any processing of your data that has already taken place.
We will retain donor’s information for as long as the donor’s account is active or as long as needed to provide our services. We may also retain and use your personal data in order to comply with our contractual or legal obligations, audit requirements, resolve disputes, and prevent abuse.
Links to Other Websites
You should take additional steps to safeguard your personal data online. To learn more about how to protect yourself, visit the Federal Trade Commission website (US).
Safeguarding Your Information
- Using the “Contact Us” page of our Website
- Sending an email to email@example.com
- Write to 411 Walnut St. #6749, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
We try to reply promptly to every message we receive. This information is used to respond directly to your questions or comments. We also may file your comments and share them with our team to improve our service in the future.