The non-profit organization Environmental Protection in the Caribbean (EPIC) Foundation’s mission is to protect the Caribbean environment through research and community-based action. EPIC is seeking an Intern for the project “An investigation of the state of Sint Maarten’s brown pelican population, for improved management of the species and its habitat.” This project is funded by a grant awarded by SPAW-RAC. The long-term goal of this project is to improve management of natural resources for the preservation of biodiversity on Sint Maarten, particularly Sint Maarten’s brown pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis occidentalis) population and associated habitats.
The Intern will:
- conduct weekly monitoring of pelican nests and associated Important Bird Areas
- collect samples for ecotoxicology analysis
- prepare and ship samples
- enter and proof data
- assist the Project Coordinator as needed with outreach, advocacy, and reporting
Successful applicants should possess
- experience monitoring breeding success, preferably with seabirds
- data management skills
- familiarity with Excel
- ability to work cooperatively
- motivation to complete work independently
- comfort working in new environments and tropical field conditions
- cultural sensitivity
Term: 1 November 2022 to 30 April 2023
Location: St. Maarten, Dutch West Indies
Compensation: Housing is available. Stipend may be available pending grant approval.
Supervisor: Project Coordinator
Submit a cover letter which outlines your suitability for the position with CV/resume and contact information for three references to Natalia Collier at email@example.com. Open until filled.